Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lookin' for a good read?


Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik is the February selection for book club. I admit, probably a read that women will enjoy more so than men, but certainly a great book to pick up. It's a wonderfully told feel good story that details the lives of 5 women who form a book club. The adventures the women share and the paths their lives follow are chronicled over the span of about 30 years in the book. The characters are magnificently written and their personalities perfectly developed. You come to care for all of them with their strengths, their faults and the ups and downs they go through together--joys of births, celebrations of family, abusive and failed marriages, children growing up, going to college and coming out. The love these women have for each other all begins with a snowball fight and the discussion of a book. It's a fast read (it took me 2 days) that you won't be sorry you picked up.

Having read a book detailing the "life" of a book club, caused me to reflect on the nearly 2 years that our book club has been around....It started with about 6 of us from my church. Our group has expanded to include folks from other churches, neighbors and fellow teachers. Depending on the month any where from 6 to 12 of us gather to share take-out food, good discussion and usually great desert.
As far as books go, we've travelled the gamut. There have been girly books



My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult)


The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kid




Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson




Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See



books with deeper meanings


Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe





Gilead by Marilynne Robinson



and books that were just plain good


The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty




The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards




Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen


We've explored historical fiction

The Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks



alternate histories


The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth


and different spins on biblical lore


Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore



The group has journeyed into the world of science fiction

Eragon by Christopher Paolini



dabbled in non-fiction

Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama




The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

Recently we've even read books and been fortunate enough to have the authors themselves visit us on the night of the discussion

Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath


Philosophy Made Simple by Robert Hellenga


The gatherings typically take place on the 3rd Friday of the month at a local eating establishment or at the home or on one occasion at the business of one of the members. It's become a way for me to make time for myself and read a book that has nothing to do with therapy, raising children or teaching yoga. Our meetings have become a time for me to look forward to good food and good company of grown-ups. Join a book club if you can, I HIGHLY recommend it. What good books have you read lately? Share your favorites or make suggestions for our book club--we're always looking for the next book!

3 comments:

Swanny said...

Of course, Barry Eisler's series. I thought "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin was great. All of Christopher Moore's books are fantastic, and I enjoying a new author right now, named Tom Schrek. His first book is called "Against the Ropes". You know me, thrillers are my thing.

zztopdog said...

I highly recommend that your book group try Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.

Grant said...

Jen/Swanny,
Thank you for the nice comment on my Mom's blog...we appreciate the support.

I finished Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer (of Into Thin Air and Into The Wild fame) a couple of months ago. Pretty good read...I am however a little partial to his writing style. One of the top books I read last year...I would recommend it. I am currently reading I Am Legend, per your suggestion. I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to get in to it at first, as I am not really into vampires and what not, but the book has really sucked me in (pardon the pun.)

Anyway, hope all is well in your neck of the woods. BTW, love your boxer...very good looking dog.