Sunday, September 14, 2008

Friendly Reminder

The following is from an article in Parent's Magazine, titled "A Memo to Mommy". It's short and so right on the mark I thought I heard Peanut reading it to me.

1. Stop freaking out about the mess! There's always time to clean - but how often do we get to make mud pies?

2. Love me, even when I'm naughty. I'll only be this age once.

3. Be patient. I do everything for a reason, but I don't know enough words yet to give you an explanation.

4. Don't try to reason with me when I'm having a tantrum. Trust me - I can't hear you over my own screaming.

5. Don't expect too much of me. I want to do what you ask and make you happy, but I'm still little.

6. Set limits. I can't actually eat a whole box of cookies - I just want to see if I'd get away with it.

7. Don't let me think that you're perfect. I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one who makes mistakes sometimes.

8. Let me do it. I know you can do it faster and better, but sometimes experience is the best teacher.

I know I don't consider these things as often as I should...especially number 5 and how many of us have consider how the kiddos view us (#7) when we're correcting them? I thought this was a great reminder for mommies and daddies.

3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Thanks for this, Jen. #3, 5, and 8 were like a slap in the face for me. I should print this out and put in on the frig (since most of my meltdowns seem to happen in the kitchen).

Are you staying dry? I got a call from Travis yesterday saying we had water in the room at the ES again - yay flooding!

jen said...

OMG! Not again!! Need some oars or floatation devices?? I don't know yet if I'm staying dry...I don't go back to work until the 23rd...our house at least is dry. Thank goodness the rain hasd stopped. Good luck this week! We should try to have lunch when I'm back next week!!

The Mrs. said...

Mary Jo said all was well at the ECC. I was more worried about your house! Glad you stayed dry.