Friday, January 2, 2009

LEIA



To everyone who has known and loved Leia with us, I have some sad news to share.

Today at about 3 pm, Leia passed away. She has as many of you know been fighting illness since this summer. She has been undergoing treatment for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (the canine equivalent of Crohn's Disease) for about 5 weeks and for the first 3 showed good response to treatment. The vet did warn us with the diagnosis that we couldn't fully rule out lymphoma, and as it turns out the lymphoma reared its ugly head.

She was not eating well again starting about a week and a half ago. She really started showing signs she was not at all feeling well on Wednesday and was admitted to the ICU at the animal hospital in Aurora yesterday.

Tests today supported suspicions that Lymphoma had really taken hold. We were told that even with treatment the prognosis was not good. Jen was able to bring her home today and get her resting comfortably. She died here at home, with Jen
by her side.

Thank you to all of you who have helped us in dealing with her health challenges this year and for all of you who have loved her with us. We'll miss her so much....


7 comments:

Swanny said...

I want to stop crying for our big sweetie, but I miss her an awful lot. She was the first addition to our little family, bringing lots of joy and laughter to our house. While I know we'll all move on and other dogs will come and go, there will never be another Leia. My life is certainly better for having shared it with her, but it's just not as bright as it was a few days ago. We miss you Lou.

The Mrs. said...

I've never seen a dog her size so patient and gentle with little ones, especially one year olds new to her who would scream and cower in fear everytime Leia turned to look at the overly dramatic baby.

Sweet Leia, I know how much you will be missed - thank you for giving me such a fun memory in only the one time I was with you!

Hugs to all of you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of Leia's death. Can't imagine how you'll explain this to Em. Leia was such a beautiful dog, and so good with the kids. I know how you must be hurting. You're all in my prayers. Thanks for posting the beautiful pics. *hugs*

Lisa

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jen said...

I'm going back and forth between tears because I miss her so much and laughter at all of the brightness she brought to our lives with her antics...jumping into Gayle & Bubba's pool for instance with the cover on or trying to jump into Peanut's newly assembled crib when we were expecting the first time....We'll always have a little bit of Leia with us in our hearts because of our happy memories. I just wish I had her to curl up with me on the couch at nap time right now....

mountainmomma said...

so sorry to hear about Leia. It sucks big time. I am glad that you are remebering all of the good times you had with the sweetie.

Becky said...

so sorry to her about your sweet puppy....i'm glad she was able to be home with her momma.