Sunday, July 29, 2007

Worth the D'oh!



Jen and I left a sleeping Peanut in the hands of our capable babysitter, and took in a late show last night. As you can tell from the trailer above, we saw "the Simpsons" movie.

I think that Jen's view of the "Simpsons" is that she can take or leave it. On the other hand, I've been a fan of the "Simpsons" since the show started,almost 19 years ago. I can remember the ferver over all things "Simpsons" in the early '90's. In fact, I was the proud owner of a Bart Simpson, "Don't have a cow, man!" tank top. That's right, I said, "Tank top".

My friend Jeff and I would watch the shows on tape all the time. Given our love of quotables, the "Simpsons" have proven fertile ground for us. Some favorites include:
"It says, 'I choo-choo-choose you.' And there's a picture of a train." - Ralph Wiggum.
"I just want to have a beer while I'm caring." - Homer Simpson
"Kwyjibo. A big, dumb, balding, North American ape. Kwyjibo." - Bart Simpson
"Remember Ralphie, if you're nose starts bleeding, it's because you picking it too much. Or... not enough." - Chief Wiggum.

I believe at one point Jeff, his sister Jill, and I tried to catalog all the "Simpsons" VCR tapes we had, using the chalkboard in the opening sequence as the identifier for certain episodes.

Hey, it's not like we had full-time jobs back then.

Anyway, I'm highly recommending this movie. It's pure escapism, meant to keep you laughing for the duration. And it delivers.
Seeing this movie, while inspiring a nice trip down memory lane, helped me remember just how much I enjoy this show (I've really been hit or miss in viewing it the last few years). I'll be setting the DVR for the upcoming 19th season.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sider Pig, Spider Pig does whatever a Spider Pig does. Does he hang from a web, no he can't cause he's a pig. :)

It was a fun time!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.