Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Coming in July...


Jack is back. Hoo boy, is she back.

For those who are familiar with the Jaqueline "Jack" Daniels series from J.A. Konrath, you know Jack's story. This scrappy, sharp-tongued, quick-witted, Chicago Police Lieutenant has faced such baddies as the Gingerbread Man, Barry Fuller, the Kork family, and the Chemist. In July's
"Fuzzy Navel", she's really got her work cut out for her.

In Konrath's latest, Jack must track down a trio of snipers that are wreaking havoc in Chicago neighborhoods. Following visits to multiple sniper crime scenes (at one of which, Jack and her partner find themselves under fire from one of the snipers) Jack gets an emergency phone call that sends her racing for home.

When she reaches her destination, she knows that she can't stay there because a pyschopath has holed up in Jack's house and taken the occupants hostage. When Jack gets a chance to make her escape, she realizes that the snipers she was tracking earlier, have followed her home and set up around her home, ready to shoot her when she shows herself.

Told in "real-time", every minute of "FuzzyNavel" is accounted for. The entire book takes place in the span of eight hours, and it's one hell of an enthralling read. At work, I often find that I compare Konrath with the likes of James Patterson. They both tell great stories, but J.A. is a much better writer. This really shines through in "Fuzzy Navel". The action is nearly non-stop, and the characters are people you actually care for. The way relationships are developed in this series is probably what I love best about this series.


In July, check your local book store, and pick up "Fuzzy Navel". It'll blow you away from it's explosive opening scenes, to it's shocking, shattering conclusion.


Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm a character in the book?


So what have you read lately? I'm patiently waiting for the next Konrath book, but that's a year from now. I'd love to hear your recommendations for what I should check out in the mean time.

4 comments:

Rikki said...

You've probably read it (although my English teacher husband hasn't) but one of my all-time favorites is "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. It is a great read.

The Mrs. said...

I've been on a power-reading spree since around spring break. Most of those I've read recently were listed on the post Jen wrote (Water for Elephants, The Memory of Running). I just finished At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks (meh) and My Sister's Keeper (OMG!). I'm mid-way through Rockabye, written by Rebecca Wolfe (a fellow blogger at Girls Gone Child).

I really enjoyed the two Konrath books I've read. I haven't read the first one yet, and I'm looking forward to bonding with Fuzzy Navel!

jen said...

Well, the last book I "read" was Christopher Moore's "A Dirty Job", which like "Lamb" was well worth it. (A Dirty Job will be the topic of book club this Friday). Greg just gave me the new Mary Higgins Clark book "Where are You Now?" for mother's day and so far it seems like it will be a goodie. Last month I read the Kite Runner, also a very good read. I'd like to pick up Eat, Pray, Love this summer. Maybe I can fit it in between feedings, naps and swim lessons!

DeeDee said...

I've never read Konrath so I'll have to give it a try. I've recently started reading big girl books again since the past few years have been filled with nothing that didn't include the words green eggs and/or ham in the title!

I just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult and it was very intense. I could NOT put it down. It's about a school shooting and it's told from several different perspectives. Very good read.

I'm currently reading A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. So far it's pretty good. I believe it's the first in a trilogy.

In case you didn’t know, I found your blog through DadGoneMad. I've posted a complete list of everyone who left their blog link on his Big Big Stars post a while back in a post of my own in April called Blog Rolling With My Homies over on my blog, so if you want to see it come on over and sit a spell. I don't bite..…that hard anyway!

If you did know just overlook this and pretend I said something funny since my brain feels like mush from trying to comment on all 217 on the list because somebody had the bright idea to challenge me to it!!