Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Countdown

It's taken nearly 9 months, but we are at T-minus 18-days til the due date for Swanny Jr. Excitement is buzzing around our house with the car seat ready, the diaper bag packed and the bassinet assembled next to our bed. Every night, Swanny and I watch and feel Swanny Jr. partying up his last days in my womb (he's become quite the acrobat--or maybe he's a yogi!) and say we can't wait to see him and hold him. If I hear it once, I hear it 10 times a day, how much longer til you have that baby? I soooooo wish I could predict that. Those who know me well enough to be acquainted with my more neurotic side, understand that I like a bit of control and order in my life. True, it may not be evident in my less-than-spectacular house keeping or disaster-zone of an office (and bedroom), but certain things I need in a certain order. My schedule is one of them. I understand this about my nature and because of it, I can be a functional adult. Knowing time-frames, deadlines and due dates helps me prioritize what needs to be done and get it done both personally and professionally. So you can imagine how the guessing game of baby's arrival is killing me.

This time of year is crazy at work with all of the end of the school year business to attend to. I am absolutely going nuts, not knowing if I have 3 more weeks to get my work all done or if I have less than 3 days. I appreciate what advice folks give me, "if it doesn't get done, it will be ok." And while this is true, I know that if it doesn't get done, I will be doing it after Swanny Jr. arrives, blah.

I am trying not to compare this pregnancy with my nine-months carrying Peanut. She decided I didn't have anything better to do 10-days before my due date on the first day of Christmas break so she decided to make an early appearance. I keep thinking Swanny Jr. will do the same, but in the back of my mind, I keep wondering if he's decided it's nice and cozy on the inside and he wants to hang out til Memorial Day....yikes. Dr. T told me today that I'm measuring 39 weeks (at 37 weeks gestation) and for those of you interested, am dilated 1cm and about 50% effaced.

So, the countdown continues. My official due date is May 20th, 2 weeks from next Tuesday. I'm going to put it out there to My Life With Dogs readers--when will Swanny Jr. make his appearance?? How big will he be?? And the million dollar question, what will his name be?? I guess I'm officially offering up a contest folks. Post a comment or e-mail us at mylifewithdogs@hotmail.com with your guesses for arrival date, weight/length, and name. The guesser who comes closest to the correct information for all of the data will win a special prize --getting to change Swanny Jr.'s first poopy diaper or the cash equivalent. Good luck!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guesses for Swanny Jr:

Date: May 11th (wouldn't that be a great Mother's Day present!)
Weight: 8lbs
Length: 21 inches
Name: This is a toughy. I am going to guess either Cameron or Tyler (I can have two guesses right?).

Good luck you guys! :)

Rikki

mountainmomma said...

So i will not guess because i have my own poopy diapers to deal with! but I can not wait to see swanny jr and lilly can not wait to play with her new cousin1

The Mrs. said...

Date: Wednesday, May 7th OR Thursday, May 9th
Time: 8:12 am
Weight: 8 lb. 4 oz.
Length: 20.5 inches
Name: Something with not many letters containing diagonal lines...I'll guess Daniel or Liam or Elliot or Bob.

(If you couldn't tell I'm feeling very indecisive today)

I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!

zztopdog said...

I think Saturday, 5/10; 8 lbs, 2oz; 20 inches.
Let's just hope it's not today, 5/3, on the trip to IKEA!

Anonymous said...

Well, ZZ, no IKEA-baby today! We probably would have had to name him Lars or something if he'd decided up there to make his appearance. Keep the guesses rolling in! Don't feel like you HAVE to try and pick a name (Julie) but feel free to guess on any part of the stats!

Backpacking Dad said...

May 20th

8.25 lbs

20 inches

Name? Vince.

There's a theme here :}

Heather said...

Well I am really bad at guessing, so I won't but good luck on whatever day he decides is the right one to pop out!

My_Dog_Is_Better said...

My BFF is due May 19th and I play this game with her too.

My guess is May 15th, 7 lbs. 10 oz.

Name: You mean it's not going to be Swanny Jr.? Ok, I guess either Ryan or Aidan.

Cute boxer by the way.

mountainmomma said...

Ok, as long as i do not have to change even more poopy diapers I will hazard a guess. May 15th, 8lbs. 3oz, 21in.long and name, hmmmm.....Scott

Anonymous said...

Pseudored must have forgotten that I have an ex-boyfriend named Scott and naming my first son the same name as him....a little creepy. Sorry Jess, I'm going to cross that off of the possibility list!

Swanny said...

Congratulations to Backpacking Dad, who came closest to the actual date.

For those wondering: Swanny Jr was born May 21st, 22.5 inches long (Rikki wins that one) and 9lbs,9oz. (no one was really close on this one)