Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Celebrating the Solstice

It always seems as though summer is well underway by the time the actual first day of summer rolls around on the calendar.  After the particularly brutal winter that we survived, the warm weather and sunshine have been welcomed with open arms.

Way back on a snowy and cold day in February, Swanny and I, along with 4 other couples bid on an auction item at a fundraiser for our local YMCA.  What we won was the Summer Solstice Dinner party: an evening promising drinks, dining, friendship, and celebration of the change of season to summer.  I remarked with my friends that I was looking forward to enjoying a meal outside where there wasn't two feet of snow and a -20 degree windchill.


Well my friends, the day of our dinner arrived this past weekend.  A few of the girls decided the occasion warranted a trip to buy new dresses.  We may have been distracted by the hats...


We found suitable frocks for our dinner party and celebrated with some wine at Montage...


and whiskey at Perry Oakes Brewery.



On Saturday we fancied ourselves up and, despite a little bit of rain at the beginning of the dinner hour, we gathered with our friends in the gazebo and enjoyed wonderful craft beers, champagne, appetizers and laughs.


Each dish seemed more delicious and enjoyable than the one I tasted before.



We dined inside due to the rain, but the backyard, which was beautifully adorned with lights and lanterns, was our setting for dessert.



I made a concerted effort to leave my mobile device in my purse so that I could be fully present in the festivities, which also means I don't have lots of pictures of each course or of my friends all prettied up, but trust me--it was a beautiful evening.  The food was AMAZING, the company a treasure, and our hostess the best.

Swanny managed to capture a picture of his dinner before he devoured it.  

Missing from this pic are the potatoes that I swear I would have brought home in my purse if I could!

Our hostess, Mrs. P, was helped by a handful of her wonderful friends who appeared to have as much fun prepping and serving the meal as we had enjoying it.


I should probably tell everyone we had a terrible time and that the food was mediocre so we don't have competition when we bid on this auction item next time!!  Who am I kidding, I can't lie.  It was a night of memories and worth every penny donated to our YMCA.  Maybe we should celebrate every seasonal transition like this!!