Friday, October 3, 2008

Random recommendation


Even if you're not that spiritual, religious or into the faith-thing, this program is certainly worth a listen. I only ever catch the last few minutes of it on (surprise, surprise) NPR each Sunday as it is winding down as we're on our way to church on Sundays. The show is called Speaking of Faith. I typically take a moment to notice my amusement at the unique quality of the host, Krista Tippett's voice, then move on to note that the topics they cover are quite interesting and touch on a multitude of subjects. I'm not typically one to really get into programs that are preaching religion at me, but I am always interested in learning about faith, beliefs and cultures and examining present day issues through the lens of "faith" without the perceptions people project onto issues using faith as a mask for their own personal biases.
Anyway, for whatever reason, I've never made the effort to actuallylisten to a full program, despite my interest being piqued at times. This week, I remembered hearing, in the frantic drive to church, late as usual one Sunday morning (see #3 on my Quirk post) that they were going to have Seane Corn on the show. For those of you who don't know who she is or didn't follow the link, she is a yoga teacher here in the U.S. As far as yogi's go, she kinda has rock-star status right now. Her name is big and she's doing some amazing things with her time in the spotlight. She really is quite amazing to listen to and to learn from. I have taken 2 classes from her, one a teacher training and one a general class at a Yoga Journal Conference. I could listen to her for hours, just talk about yoga and what it has to teach us and how we can use yoga as a tool for self-transformation and by extension then to transform our world. She is very inspiring for me with regards to my own personal journey in yoga as well as in my constant battle with myself that there is always more I can be doing--for myself, my family, my community and hunanity in general....
Seane was featured in a Speaking of Faith spot called Yoga. Meditation in Action and I'm telling you, it was exactly what I needed to hear right now at this point in my life. For me, I'm finding it very easy to get overwhelmed right now: back at work, 2 children at home--one of whom is VERY dependent on me (and Swanny) right now, keeping up with taking care of our house, making time for things like actually fixing a good meal for my family, time for yoga?? are you kidding, and let's face it the state of many things in our country and our world right now (war, environment, economy, education--need I go on??). Seane's words were EXACTLY what I needed to hear....If you have time, check it out. I downloaded the show to my iPod (for free) and listened to it on my way to/from work the other day. I think you can download it to your computer as well...It was great. Check it out. I hope it helps you find some clarity and peace--it did for me!

No comments: